Once again the season is just around the corner. As part of the Syracuse Soccer program we are strong believers in a rigorous off season training program. Every day that we meet there will be
a cardio session, at 8:15 on the track, led by Coach Petersen which will be followed by a powerlifting session led by Coach Brown.
There are many reasons for our belief in the summer training program we run at Syracuse, the physical benefits as a person and an athlete are clear. Listed are the other reasons we believe in the program.
- It creates camaraderie, for a few hours every day you get to work hard with your future teammates. Hard work towards a common purpose creates an inseparable bond.
- All continuous successful high school programs of any sport hit the weight room hard.
- Weight lifting minimizes injury.
- We believe this (power lifting) is also one of the areas that cannot be addressed by club coaches/programs. We support club play and want you playing club, instead of increasing the amount of soccer playing, we differentiate our summers to make you a better and stronger athlete.
- We believe in becoming physically strong for the rigorous high school season. By becoming mentally strong, those athletes that buy into power lifting and hard conditioning become mentally seasoned to face the grind of a 6 day a week high school season.
- Every year I have former high school players that return to say hi, every athlete tells the staff they are grateful they learned good technique in power lifting, which is required in their college soccer program!
While it is not required that you attend it is highly encouraged. Your tryout status will not be determined based off of your attendance in summer conditioning. What it will be is a great opportunity to interact and learn from the coaching staff three days a week and prove to them your individual work ethic and commitment to the program.
We want you to be playing in summer tournaments and doing other activities like family vacations, girls camp etc., we also want you committed to this program. It is expected that you communicate your absences with Coach Allen before hand. (By email email@example.com [notice the 2 a’s] or through the remind app, (instructions in the tryout meeting recap post) Communicating and advocating for yourself is a life skill many high school students need to improve on and is an expectation with Syracuse girls soccer.
Conditioning will be be Monday, Tuesday and Thursday of every week except the 4th of July and the week we are at team camp. Many of the girls have been lifting hard in class since last June. For those that have been in the 4th period class you get a few weeks off to rest and recover. If you were not in the 4th period class, we expect you at the sessions on June 3rd, 4th and 6th. There Coach Brown will introduce power lifting technique to those that have never done it before and get the freshmen from last season back into the groove. The weight room can be intimidating but we highly encourage you to attend with us those intro days. This is for all girls, if you want to tryout this summer, come workout with us!
Every day plan on meeting before 8:15 am on the track outside, if there is bad weather we will shoot a message on the remind app and meet on the indoor track. Wear workout clothes/shoes every day. Please also bring water, and your cleats in case we do runnings on the grass.
We understand many newcomers have never spent ample time in the weight room. Many athletes that have never been in a weight room feel comfortable very quickly. Don’t hesitate to join us. For returning players this is your time to shine and work as hard as possible to prepare for the start of August.
*Remember all weightlifting dates/times can be found on the team calendar found on the top menu of the website and is the easiest way to quickly access team dates/times
Remind App: To receive summer remind app group updates/instructions from Coach Allen please text the code @cusesummer to the number 81010. You can also safely communicate with Coach Allen through this app.